Advertisements
you're reading...
Culture

Today in Speciesism: Pig Parts Make Up Nativity Scene

Celebrating Christmas, but forgetting to include compassion.

Celebrating Christmas? Don’t forget to include compassion.

Like the other images  I’ve analyzed on my blog, this nativity scene, made from assorted pieces of dead pigs, normalizes animal cruelty by making light of it, and hides the violence we commit against animals.

Nativity scenes are used to celebrate the birth of the nonviolent Jesus Christ.  And this holiday season, it’s common to wish for “peace on earth,” a phrase from the Bible. But instead of  celebrating compassion for all earthlings, we mock the torture and murder of certain sentient beings. This is the problematic speciesist thinking that’s currently rampant in our culture: we wish for “peace on earth” while participating in animal exploitation, which not only hurts the animals, but also directly harms the environment; furthermore, practically no one would think this was funny if the scene featured parts from a cooked dog. Pigs are okay to exploit because…? Because that’s the way things are

I’m not going to tell my Christian readers how to practice their faith, but if you want to reflect on whether veganism is compatible with your religion, here are some links to get you started:

Advertisements

About The Paw Report

I graduated from St. John's University School of Law in 2012, and am admitted to practice law in New York State. I was a member of the New York City Bar Association's Animal Law Committee for three years. I was born and raised in Rhode Island, but moved to New Mexico when I was 18. After dabbling in film for two years, I graduated from the University of New Mexico with a degree in Anthropology. I've been living in New York City since 2008, and currently reside in Brooklyn with my boyfriend and our two cats. I am a former organizer with Direct Action Everywhere - New York City.

Discussion

5 thoughts on “Today in Speciesism: Pig Parts Make Up Nativity Scene

1. There was a time when I wouldn’t have thought twice about such a Nativity scene and now it makes me SO sad. How come I didn’t get it before – I just don’t get it! Celeste 🙂

Posted by celestedimilla | December 24, 2013, 7:25 pm
  2. Reblogged this on Exposing the Big Game and commented:
    The whole idea makes me puke

Posted by Exposing the Big Game | December 27, 2013, 12:28 pm
  3. Hideous!

Posted by Stacey | December 27, 2013, 11:05 pm
  4. Reblogged this on The Paw Report and commented:

Nativity scene, revisited.
    Merry Christmas to my readers who celebrate the holiday. I’m celebrating at home with my boyfriend and a lovely vegan meal.

Earlier today in my facebook newsfeed someone shared a group of photos of animal parts arranged in various forms, like the nativity scene and Christmas trees. Once again, I’m disgusted by people “celebrating” a compassionate holiday with animal cruelty and making a mockery of the violence committed upon animals. If we’re serious about peace on earth, we ought to be asking ourselves why do we exclude animals from our graces?

Posted by The Paw Report | December 25, 2014, 3:41 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: To My Facebook Friends/Family | Save Animals Today - February 2, 2014